May our hearts and minds continue to birl away from self and move through the currents of this world, carried by His Word, to the eternal embrace of our Saviour, Christ Jesus.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Working Out...



Working Out, an analogy from my quiet time thoughts this morning


Something I learned years ago when our son was in physical therapy as a child, is just “how-to” engage muscles. We can work out, stretch that leg or arm, reach for the skies and never engage. All of that may be accomplished by gravity on the skeletal system and tendon moving, having never engaged muscles. So, after years of working out there may be no muscle strength, no excess weight loss, no building up of the body!

So it is with our spiritual “workouts”. We can go to church, hear sermons, be involved in ministries…ALL with no spiritual muscle engagement. We may have all the "right" movements, all the outward signs of "being spiritual", we may have the intellectual answer, the Sunday school answer, but no inside/soul changing attitude of grace.

Spiritual growth is about engagement, not ministry for the sake of ministering…growth is in the application. Being smart and intelligent are not really verbs, they are empty without action. So, I am so very happy to be ENGAGED in this book study with you, my friends!

May the God of hop fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13




1 comment:

  1. I read Jeanie's blog again and it got me thinking (as I felt very brain dead on Tueseday) that I need to put more into my time with God and understand what He is telling me. I know that I have grown closer, but still yearn to be even closer to Him and His grace. This means not just "checking" the box or knowing the correct answer, but to question? Thank you ladies for your support, encouragement, and prayers. I look forward to seeing you again on Tuesday... Kathie G

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stepping in to birl with me!
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace
as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow
with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13