May our hearts and minds continue to birl away from self and move through the currents of this world, carried by His Word, to the eternal embrace of our Saviour, Christ Jesus.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

St. Stephen's Presbyterian Church ~ Fort Worth, Texas


What a wonderful visit to this jewel on a hill. The drive in is very pretty, in a quiet neighborhood, just off a busy road. I did not notice the slight climb in the road, as I read street signs and then found myself right in front of the church spire. Lovely! I went to the office door (a large iron ring on an old door, just my “thing”!) to see if it was ok to walk the labyrinth, as they were doing some construction on the roof. 

Everyone was soooo gracious! I was given directions to the labyrinth, just outside the door, and to the old chapel. Just made to feel at home by everyone there.






THEN, I rounded the corner outside and stepped through to the labyrinth nestled to the left of the path, beside the church building…oh my. 

The peace was palatable, the view amazing and the workers stopped. Really, they stopped hammering, etc. for the whole time I walked the labyrinth. Was it their awareness of another? I do not know, but God quieted the air.


I really was breathless and sat on the bench to read from my devotional, one my mother had given me last Christmas, and just take in the moment.
“…a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.”
Psalm 51:17
Barefoot, I entered the labyrinth…the first, in-person, labyrinth ever for me. What a blessing, a peace and grace-filled time. There is nothing like the focused moments of prayer and listening with our Lord. Is it unspiritual for me to just say, “wow!”?!? 

It was as if time stopped and I could hear every whisper in the breeze. It has been quite a dark season, as of late. The time spent here God really opened my heart to see it is not His desire that I live in such a way. The weights and brokenness I have lived with were my own “keeping”. He has better things for us, His mercies are not meager. So, that day, in that labyrinth, I gave it all over to Him, I lay the hurt at His feet and released myself to His desires. A favourite Scripture came to mind…

Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

Matthew 11:28-30 The Message

Praying the unforced rhythms of grace will ‘wow’ you, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stepping in to birl with me!
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace
as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow
with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 15:13